Saturday, August 14, 2010

Nice Wainscoting


A few months back, someone complimented me on my wainscoting. After thanking them profusely, I quickly bee-lined to a Webster’s to look it up. There I discovered: It’s the lowest three feet of an interior wall. Interesting. But I need to ask: Who named this? And could it sound less like what it is? Because in my brain, wainscoting is a Beatles lyric. An Irish accordion cover band. A rainy town in Scotland where everyone speaks with a lisp. A forgotten friend from elementary school who oft got pummeled to the ground – Wayne Scoting. Why do we need so many letters to simply describe wood? It’s bewildering. Also too long a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
The Morning Roast by Gregg Rosenzweig is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.spikeupnow.blogspot.com.